- The Hiker’s Mini Journal for just $5.95. From the very cool company called Journal Unlimited this 160 page journal is perfect for the trail and even contains prompts, like what scenery or fauna you saw or what equipment you should or should not have left behind.
- Wool/Nylon/Lycra Socks for less than $10 a pair. My experience has been that 75% Merino wool combined with 24% nylon and 1% Lycra make for a very durable sock that will last a long time, but that doesn’t mean you have to wear the same socks forever. Why not get him or her some new ones?
- Mountain Hardware Dome Perignon hat for $36. Guaranteed to keep your head warm on those cold Sierra Nevada nights (are there any other kind?). Particularly appropriate for the oenophile who also happens to be a hiker.
- Black Diamond Spot Headlamp for $40. Great light with all the necessary features, like a lock to keep it from coming on accidently in your bag or pocket, and bright colors so that you can find it in the dark without a light.
- Cocoon Silk Mummy Liner for $60. Layers are a great way to keep warm outside the sleeping bag, why not use them inside?
Need more ideas? Try this terrific list from Inga Aksmit.
Merry Christmas, everyone!
Good hiking, Ray